Friday 9 January 2015

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Days Later

Well it has literally been forever since I last wrote. I am not sure how I could ever summarize everything that has happened since November 3rd. I am sorry to everyone who regularly checks my blog. I cant even explain how busy I have been, and how difficult it is for me to keep up with my blog. I mean between learning a new language, school, exercise, rotary events, eating everything in sight, family and a social life I barely have time to shower, or sleep. Let alone sit down to summarize the incredible adventures I have been having, and the overwhelming amount of thoughts I have.

Let me make a few highlights of amazing things that have happened since I last wrote. Sorry in advanced for how excessively long this is going to be.

Loi Krathong/ Yi Peng:


Loi Krathong  is a Thai festival that is used to give thanks to the gods of water. During this festival it is common release a “boat” called a krathong into a body of water. The boat is usually made of bread, Styrofoam or some type of wood, and is decorated with banana leaves and flowers. Letting go of the boat for many Thai people symbolizes letting go of ones anger, and hatred. The boat will also have a candle on it in order pay respect to the Buddha. Loi Krathong also coincides with a northern Thai tradition called Yi Peng. Yi Peng is commonly mistaken as Loi Krathong, as they are on the same day. Yi Peng is used to give merit by releasing floating lanterns into the nights sky. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful festivals in the world.


Doi Inthanon:


Since my last post I have been too Doi Inthanon twice. Doi Inthanon is the highest mountain in Thailand. It is known for its rare biomes, and ecosystems. The first time I went it poured rain the entire time I was there, so I was unable to take photos. The second time I went I was able to arrive at the mountain early enough to watch the sunrise (which sadly just looked like clouds due to our elevation).


Sharing Traditions:


What would exchange be if I didn’t bring some of my traditions to Thailand? Olivia (an exchange student from the USA), and I decided we should bring some Thanksgiving to Thailand. We decided to prepare a traditional/non-traditional thanksgiving dinner for our Rotary Club. After five hours in the kitchen, without an oven and only having a microwave and two stove tops. Olivia and I were able to produce an amazing thanksgiving dinner consisting of: stuffing, gravy, chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, dinner rolls, honey butter, baked apples, Oreo cheese cake balls and root beer floats.

Helping Save Lives:


On December Fourth, myself and two other exchange students made our way down to the Red Cross, just down the street from my school in order to donate blood. Between the three of us we donated approximately one and a half litres!

Leaving my home away from home to make a new home away from home:

That is right, I finally switched host families! Although it was sad to leave my first host family, I have been having the time of my life with my second host family. They are incredible, and I am sooooo grateful to have them in my life.

Fun At School:


Got to attend my school play. It made me awfully sad to be in the audience instead of up on the stage preforming. I also got the chance to go on my first Thai field trip! Where did we go you ask? That is right the International Puppet Festival!!

First Trip:


I finally got to experience my first rotary trip with all of the exchange students in my district. Words cannot even begin to describe how amazing it was. Not only did I get to see more of Thailand but I also got the chance to make some incredible life long friendships! Here are a few things we got to do. Suko Thai national park, Wat Yai, Kwae Bridge, Bamboo Rafting, Floating Market, lounge around at the beach, Venizia (Venice in Thailand), Grande Palace, see the emerald Buddha, dinner on a river cruise, a lady boy cabaret, culture show, elephant performance, Christmas and finally I got to attend Thailand’s national rotary day.


Christmas:


It was strange to celebrate Christmas when it was plus 30 outside. Everyone warned me that Christmas would be a hard time, filled with homesickness. I must have been really lucky. I didn’t even know Christmas was coming, until it got here! Thai people don’t celebrate Christmas, so there was no decorations, music, baking, or even any snow. So it just snuck up on me!!! Rotary also did an amazing job of planning one of our trips to take place during Christmas. So thank you Rotary for letting us spend Christmas with our exchange family!

New Years:


New Years is the big kicker here. I mean it is the ninth and people are still celebrating. Since the day after Christmas the parties have been none stop! I got to attend a party with my host family, my rotary club, as well as my counsellor’s daughters (who both by the way did there exchanges in Alberta!). It has been a blast celebrating new years with all of them!

Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment